Dictionary.com just added 300 new words and phrases and the picks seem like a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, I can understand them adding in "Side Hustle" and "5G", but 'Ya'll" and "yeet"? Those just seem too informal to be considered official. Zaddy is just flat out weird and sounds more like a nickname OneDirectioners came up with for Zayn rather than a general term for "an attractive man who is also stylish, charming, and self-confident."
Here are some of the words and phrases Dictionary.com added:
- Zaddy- an attractive man who is also stylish, charming, and self-confident
- silver fox- an attractive older person with gray or silver hair, especially a man
- Snack– has been updated to include the slang for “a sexy and physically attractive person; hottie”
- Oof- an exclamation used to sympathize with someone else’s pain or dismay, or to express one’s own
- Yeet- an exclamation of enthusiasm, approval, triumph, pleasure, joy, etc.
- Y’all– used to direct address usually two or more people, or to one person who represents a family or organization
- A**hat- a foolish, annoying, or contemptible person; a**hole
- Sh*tshow- a person or thing that is a total mess, failure, or disaster
- Side hustle- a job or occupation that brings in extra money beyond one’s regular job and main source of income
- 5G- fifth-generation, wireless
- Dplatforming- to prohibit (a person or people) from sharing their views in a public forum, especially by banning a user from posting on a social media website or application
- Long Covid, long hauler and long haul- a person who experiences symptoms or health problems that linger or first appear after supposed recovery from an associated acute illness or active infection
- Aunt Jemima -disparaging and offensive. A Black woman considered by other Black people to be subservient to or to curry favor with white people
Read more at Dictionary.com